Tuesday 25 November 2008

Making the case for our local economy

This evening, I attended the Enterprise Forum where David Cameron gave an excellent speech setting out how the current Government has basically bankrupted our country and why it's time for change.

Afterwards, I spoke to David about the need to strengthen East Kent's economy. We have so much potential in Dover & Deal - the biggest port in Western Europe, great roads, an airport down the road and some of the most heartbreakingly beautiful countryside that Britain has to offer.

Shouldn't we be doing better than we are? I think so. Realising the potential of Manston, getting the A2 dualled, regenerating the Dover harbour front and uniting Dover with the actual sea, rather than the current sea of lorries would make such a difference. We need to get more businesses to set up locally. I'd be really interested to hear your views on what more we can do to get our fair share - please feel free to comment or email me at charlieelphicke@googlemail.com

PS Tie afficionados please note . . . this evening I was wearing a tie, and so was David!

No comments: