Saturday 6 December 2008

Getting into the festive mood . . .

It's that time of year again! This morning I went to a great mulled wine party in Dover. As you can see, we had a real laugh getting into the December party spirit (for me, I must confess, this was initially a bit of struggle, after very hearty Men of Kent dinner in Deal last night!).

A number of people talked to me about their concerns for Dover's economy. Unemployment locally has risen more quickly than in the rest of the country, which is clearly a serious cause for concern. It underlines to me that importance of strengthening our local economy for the long term, with more higher skilled jobs and greater prosperity that will make us all better off.

However, we didn't let these worries hold us back from having a good time . . . December and Chistmas is a time to relax and enjoy life a bit, after all. And goodness knows, we need to in order to prepare ourselves for the harder times ahead.

No comments: