Saturday 13 December 2008

Too many local shops are closing

I went to Woolworths in Deal today with the kids to do some Christmas shopping. Now while we all love a bargain, spare a thought for the people who work there. While at the checkout, I spoke to the till assistant about what was going to happen. He told me how concerned he was as this is not to time to be looking for work.

Then I went to Martins newsagent to pick up a paper and some coffee. I was expresing concern about Woolworths and they told me they are closing down as well. Right after Christmas. These two excellent shops are closing - right on top of a number of other shops being lost in Deal. The story's the same in Dover as well.

It's really important we do all we can to protect our high streets and the jobs they bring. As we know, many others are facing similar challenges. So I will be speaking to Brian Binley MP for Northampton South who chaired a commission into saving our town centres to seek his advice on how other areas are rising to the challenge to see what we can learn.

No comments: